Resettlement Assistance Program

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Resettlement assistance is provided by the Government of Canada to Convention Refugees Abroad and members of the Source Country Class, and in some instances, members of the Country of Asylum Class who have been identified as Joint Assistance Sponsorship (JAS) cases, admitted to Canada as government-assisted refugees. These funds are given to help pay for:

•meeting the refugee at the airport or port of entry;
•temporary accommodation;
•help in finding permanent accommodation;
•basic household items; and
•general orientation to life in Canada.

This money is also used to give the refugee income support for up to one year or until that person becomes self-sufficient, whichever comes first.